IS LOOKING FOR A
Director of Engineering
Who we are
NAPNOK GAMES is an award-winning studio on a continuing mission to reinvent social play. Currently, we’re 50+ diverse, multi-national, multi-talented, crazies. Right now we are finishing up Frantics, a deeply social and wacky party game spearheading Sony’s PlayLink initiative for PS4, and we have multiple exciting console projects in the pipeline that we are hiring against. We mix the best upcoming talent with leading industry veterans.
We are looking for an outstanding Director of Engineering, with a passion for quality and an affinity for NAPNOK GAMES’ core DNA: unique local/ social multiplayer games driven by novel interfaces and new technology. We promise work on cutting edge tech, really hard problems to solve, and a fantastic team of brainiacs to share war stories with.
We’re not quite Indie anymore. We’re not ‘AAA’ either. We’re Napnok.
Read more about us here
As the Director of Engineering, you will be in charge of coordinating, managing and ultimately delivering all the engineering work for several projects, distributed among our international offices. This role blends Technical Director and Technical Producer competencies and responsibilities, and involves traveling when necessary between our locations in Copenhagen and Skopje, as well as tight synchronization with our US office.
What do we expect from you?
- Collaborate with other disciplines to define the specifications of individual projects, contribute ideas and identify project risks.
- Disseminate and enforce standards and practices as established by the organization. Identify and implement improvements to existing practices.
- Review code committed by the engineering teams.
- Acquire a good understanding of the existing code base. Propose and schedule refactoring when necessary and possible, taking into account inter-project dependencies and synergies.
- Design and propose architecture for any new custom modules required by a project specifically or by the common code base. Whenever feasible, ensure the structural stability, clarity and reusability of any modules developed.
- Ensure all engineering work on all projects is properly documented.
- Evaluate and present any third party technologies required by the projects. Present alternatives whenever available/applicable. Supervise the integration of third party technologies and ensure their proper use.
- Manage and direct the generation and maintenance of each project’s technical specifications documentation.
- Help define product testing procedures.
- Ensure the integrity, correctness and proper functionality of all engineering work delivered, be it in the form of executable content/ builds, written code or documentation.
- Collaborate with project managers and producers to promptly correct engineering issues and ensure timely delivery.
- Allocate resources to specific engineering tasks according to priorities, workload and expertise.
- Supervise the creation of task breakdowns for all engineering work.
- Track the status of individual projects and of the engineering department as a whole. Identify potential delays. Present and implement mitigation strategies. Be able to present an accurate picture of the status of engineering on any project at any given time.
- Collaborate with project managers/producers to organize and present the engineering schedule to upper management in an effective form. Highlight top priorities, opportunities and risks.
- Ensure engineering team redundancies. Identify and minimize/eliminate any critical failure points.
- Identify and communicate engineering team needs, both strategic and day-to-day, to executive leadership as necessary.
- Manage communication among all engineering resources. Identify potential resource conflicts as early as possible and propose measures for addressing them.
- Disseminate the company culture and core values. Foster cooperation across disciplines and teams.
- Communicate and enforce company policies with regard to work conditions, practices, acceptable behaviors at the workplace.
- Ensure all necessary steps are being taken to ensure the safeguarding of the company’s assets, including source code, art, tools, documentation, and any other information deemed as sensitive or confidential.
- Prevent and resolve conflict. React promptly to any arising work situations and escalate issues to executive leadership as necessary.
- Perform and/or coordinate other tasks as necessary to keep engineering running smoothly. This may occasionally include IT work (e.g. help setting up infrastructure, build servers, maintaining various 3rd party services and accounts, reviewing and enforcing IT security practices) and other non-specific office duties (e.g. ordering supplies for the engineering team, participating in organizing team events).
- Acquire a good understanding of the professional needs and expectations of individual engineers.
- Identify and/or help create career pathways and means of personal development within the organization.
- Provide prompt and constant feedback to subordinates and peers. Flag issues and communicate engineering achievements.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of individual engineers. Suggest strategies for maximizing their positive contributions to the organization while addressing/minimizing the impact of any personal shortcomings.
- Highlight exceptional performance and propose rewards when applicable.
- Spread knowledge, experience and the passion for building great products.
- Set up and maintain/supervise major project frameworks as needed. Instruct the engineers on the projects as well as the other departments as applicable on their proper use.
- When the situation requires it, produce working production code and/or other programming work as necessary to complete the projects with the allocated resources and/or debugging and optimizing code to meet performance and stability requirements.
Successful applicants have:
- 8+ years of professional game development experience.
- Shipped a minimum of five game titles; at least two titles on a current or previous generation console in a Lead Engineer, or Technical Lead or Technical Producer position.
- Strong C# skills. Advanced knowledge of C/C++.
- A strong grasp of data structures, essential algorithms and design patterns.
- A very good understanding of modern game engine architectures.
- Experience with Unity3D and/or Unreal Engine.
- A solid understanding of game content pipelines.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Good understanding of the main software development methodologies.
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence and other project management tools and applications.
- Proficiency with version control and issue-tracking systems.
- A positive, proactive attitude; independent but able to take direction.
How to apply
Please send your resume in English to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you
as soon as possible.
IS ALSO LOOKING FOR
LEAD GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
NapNok Games are looking for a fearless Lead Gameplay Engineer to helm young and ambitious team
SENIOR GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
NapNok Games is hiring a resourceful Senior Gameplay Engineer to further the art and craft of local multiplayer
LEAD GAME DESIGNER
We are looking for an experienced and talented Lead Game Designer, with a great attention to quality, a good artistic eye, management skills, and a passion for unique local/ social multiplayer games.
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
We are in search of a world-class Engineering Director to help unlock the full potential of our talented programming team